"From the Barrens to the Bays"
Eastern Long Island Audubon Society, Inc.
A New York Chapter of the National Audubon Society
Serving the communities of Southampton, East Hampton, Western Riverhead, Brookhaven
Feeder Station Survey
The Survey will be conducted the first full week of the month starting on Sunday and ending the following Sunday.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FEEDER SURVEY
- Define an area containing feeders that you can see all at once from a window. The area should be one you glance at frequently during your daily routine.
- Don't include birds seen off premises.
- Predators perching in or swooping through the count area (not just flying over) may be counted if you feel that they were attracted by the birds at the feeder.
- Record the largest number of each species that you see in your count area during the eight-day count period.
- Do not add counts from previous days together. Be specific with the species name, e.g. we can't use just the name Sparrow, Blackbird or Gull.
- At the end of the count period, record your final tallies and send in the form immediately. Personal observations and comments are welcome as are suggestions to improve the surveys and reports.
Follow the link for a form to PRINT OUT and mail in or enter your results online HERE! Online form now available HERE!
There are three ways to participate:
1. Mail the survey to:
Feeder Survey c/o John McNeil
168 Lexington Road
Shirley, NY 11967
2. Send your information via the internet
go to: easternlongislandaudubon.org &
a) Click on: Chapter Projects
b) Click on: Feeder Statistics
c) Click on: To submit via the internet
and follow the prompts
3. Email the results to: email@example.com